Tuesday, July 16, 2002

Singapore 1. Nick's Food Tour of Asia, Part 1: Flying To Singapore

The flight over to Singapore (six week business trip) was an exercise in indulgence. I hadn't even sat down and they were asking me what I'd like to drink, Mr Lander. Being only 4:00p.m., I thought it was a bit early for anything alcoholic. Then, before we'd even finished taxiing, they'd cleared up my orange juice and asked if I'd like anything a little stronger, Mr Lander. How about a newspaper, sir? Well, it was 4:10 by now and my will was broken, so it was The Strait Times, vodka-tonic, champagne, another VAT, then around 5:00 it was dinner time (a regular nursing home, is Singapore Airlines) and a beer to wash down all three courses. Quick nap, couple of dodgy movies, then "refreshments" (turkey sandwich and a side of salad) and there I was, in Singapore at last: bloated, barely sober and feeling very happy with myself. I've decided Economy Class just isn't worth it. My new rule of thumb is: anything over 6 hours (well, anything international) should be Business Class. Am I getting soft?

No comments: